We need a Green New Deal to fight the climate crisis at the scale that scientists say is necessary. It’s a plan that would transform our economy and society at the scale needed to stop the climate crisis. It’s our fighting chance to actually stop this crisis – for some of us, the first we’ve seen in our whole lives.
We don’t have illusions of passing this with Donald Trump in the White House. He’s made it clear he’d rather do favors for his fellow billionaires than stopping climate change and fighting for working people. In 2019, we’ll build support for the Green New Deal in every corner of the country and cement it as a litmus test for every politician seeking the Presidency. Then, in 2020, we will unite by the millions to defeat corrupt politicians and the fossil fuel billionaires who aid them, and we’ll elect a President and Congress who will make the Green New Deal law in 2021.
WHAT IS THE GREEN NEW DEAL?
The Green New Deal is a 10-year plan introduced by Rep. Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Markey to mobilize every aspect of American society toward 100% clean and renewable energy, guarantee a good job to all members of our society, and create economic prosperity for all. The goals of the Green New Deal are:
- to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers;
- to create millions of good, high-wage jobs and ensure prosperity and economic security for all people of the United States;
- to invest in the infrastructure and industry of the United States to sustainably meet the challenges of the 21st century;
- to secure clean air and water, climate and community resiliency, healthy food, access to nature, and a sustainable environment for all people of the United States for generations to come; and
- to promote justice and equity by stopping current, preventing future, and repairing historic oppression of indigenous peoples, communities of color, migrant communities, de-industrialized communities, depopulated rural communities, the poor, low-income workers, women, the elderly, the unhoused, people with disabilities, and youth.
It’s the best chance we have to fight climate change. Today is the day more than ever before.
Build the Green New Deal Coalition
We’re on a mission to make climate change an urgent priority across America and make the Green New Deal the law of the land. To get there, we need to show the groundswell of support in our communities. Every time we have had conversations in our communities, show up at local offices, the Green New Deal becomes that much more a reality. And to win in 2021 and beyond we’ll need a massive coalition the likes of which we haven’t seen in decades. You can help build that.
Check out the growing coalition of supporting groups and add your organization to the list below.
The Green New Deal, explained:
Read Our Book
Want a deeper understanding of the Green New Deal? This book of essays collects some of the greatest minds of the decade on the subject and presents a clear roadmap for what the Green New Deal is, why it’s important, and how to win it. Featuring chapters by visionaries like Naomi Klein, Colette Pichon Battle, Rhiana Gunn-Wright, Bill McKibben, Rev William Barber II, and Sunrise’s own Varshini Prakash.